We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join us in the role of Field Geophysical Supervisor. This will be a permanent position within the company, following a successful probation period.
Magnitude Surveys is the largest independent provider of archaeological geophysics in the UK. We have grown organically from 3 to 40 employees over the past 6 years. We are a company with a welcoming and inclusive attitude, shortly to be operating out of bespoke offices in a 19th century converted mill in central Bradford. We work alongside major archaeological contractors on a wide range of exciting projects throughout the UK, including small-scale community surveys and national-scale infrastructure projects. We are a CIfA Registered Organisation and a member of FAME.
MS offer a suite of geophysical techniques ranging from quad-towed magnetometer arrays to hand-pushed ground penetrating radar surveys, and drone-based LiDAR and photogrammetry. Successful candidates will receive training in all survey techniques where necessary.
We welcome experienced archaeologists or geophysicists looking to take the next steps in their careers. We offer training and opportunities to progress in different areas of the business that may be of interest, including equipment development, drone piloting, report writing, and the application of geophysical techniques in both heritage and non-heritage settings. Fieldwork experience is essential.
The Role and Responsibilities
- Conducting geophysical surveys throughout the UK whilst supervising an Assistant. Surveys involve a range of techniques including Magnetometry, Electromagnetic and Ground Penetrating Radar. When on site, Supervisors are responsible for:
- Ensuring work is carried out to a safe and efficient standard.
- Quality assessing data while fieldwork is ongoing.
- Planning of survey strategy for the week ahead.
- Leading troubleshooting and in-field repairs, with assistance from the Office.
- Production of site documents, including site notes and photos, survey considerations and risk assessments.
- Data analysis and interpretation, and report writing for magnetic and non-standard heritage surveys (with assistance and guidance from others).
- Assisting junior staff with reporting tasks.
- Leading community surveys and engaging with members of the public of all ages.
- A mixture of both fieldwork weeks and office weeks, with the majority of these being fieldwork based. Surveys are largely carried out Monday to Friday, travelling from our base in Bradford at the start of each week.
- Driving company vehicles.
- Other field and office tasks within the survey project life cycle, including WSI/RAMS production.
- Critically assess and review the impact of unexpected events on a survey schedule and understanding when to inform the Project Officer.
- Work under pressure and adapt to changeable conditions or equipment issues is critical.
- Solve problems appropriate to job level.
- Communicate effectively with both colleagues and managers.
- Write a geophysical report, with assistance if required.
- Confidently liaise with landowners and members of the public.
- Competent with setting up and using magnetic survey systems.
- Experience of the use of non-standard equipment (e.g. EM and GPR) is desirable but not essential as training will be given.
- Experience supervising others is desirable but not essential.
- Understanding of heritage magnetic data is essential and some understanding of other geophysical data is desirable.
- Good understanding of written scientific English.
- Willingness to learn.
- Due to the nature of the role, a reasonable level of physical fitness is required (tasks include extended periods of walking across rough terrain and loading/unloading of equipment).
- A degree in archaeology, geophysics, geology, or a related field would be advantageous.
- Possession of a valid CSCS card would be beneficial.
- Membership of CIfA would be an advantage.
- A valid full and clean UK driving license is required.
- Applicants will be expected to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK, visa sponsorship may be available for outstanding candidates.
- Companywide performance-based bonus scheme
- 20 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Additional paid leave for Christmas & New Year closure period
- Additional holiday with length of service
- Auto enrolment onto company pension scheme with 6% employer-matched pension contributions
- Employee perks package, including discounts at major retailers.
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free parking
- Newly renovated office facilities
- Field and office-based training
- Clear career progression within the company
- High quality PPE
- Paid site safety certifications (e.g. CSCS)
- Paid professional accreditation (e.g. CIfA)
- Subsistence and accommodation provided for all surveys.
- Travel between the office and site is included within working hours.
Applicants should submit a covering letter and CV through our website.
Applications through employment agencies or those not submitted through the link above will not be accepted.
For further information about the position, please contact Ruby Carter at [email protected] or 01274 926026.